Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Water Mixable Oil Paints

Has anyone tried water mixable oil paint?  They're great!  I've only done a couple of paintings in real oils and found the smell terrible and messy!  I was at Hobby Lobby looking to buy paints and came across Winsor & Newton water mixable oils.  I bought a set and a few canvases and hurried home to give them a try.  I found that the water mixable oils were easy to work with and cleaned up with soap and water.  Now no more smell from the turpentine and cleaning up is much easier.

Here are a few examples of what I've created using this GREAT product.
Not my first attempt but after I purchased the Darrell Crow basic techniques DVDs I was able to produce this painting and many more that I have given to family and friends.  Darrell has a lot tips and techniques that make painting easy and fun!  I was soon hooked and went on to try other things.
Once I got the feel for how the paints worked and learned a few tricks from the DVDs I turned a few of my photographs of my husbands flowers into oil paintings   My husband loves his flower gardens so I have hundreds of photos of flowers and butterflies...which I love!



 
The monarch butterfly inspired me the most, since it's my favorite so I went on to create many more.  The butterfly painted in the above photo was painted on oil paper and cut out and glued to the flower painting that I was almost scrapped because I wasn't happy with it.  Now it's one of my favorites!

I loved how the monarchs popped against the blue sky on this set of four that I did.

 
When I got tired of working with the smaller (16x20 and 8 x 10) canvases I dug out a very large (40"x40") painting that I purchased at an auction for less than $20 and covered it with black paint and created what my family calls the toxic waste butterflies.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  The butterflies look like they're glowing.

I also gave it a try on a mirror.  The birds below were really fun to do. I had some leftover mirrors from my stained glass stash so I gave it a try and it turned out great!

Follow my blog and see what I come up with next...I don't even know what kind of craft project I'll tackle next.

Keep creating!

just another,
Craft Fanatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment